Galaxy DX-73V Modification
Modification Instructions for the Galaxy Model DX-73V
Out of the Box, the Galaxy mode DX-73V operates from 28.315 to 28.755 MHz. Also the "Dual-Watch" and "Fixed
Channel" functions are disabled.
The following modifications expand the frequency coverage and will Re-Enable the "Dual-Watch" and "Fixed Channel"
All of these modifications take place on the PC board that the 40 channel switch is soldered to.
This PC Board is located under the frequency counter and do these modifications, follow these directions
- Remove the Bottom Cover (The one with the Speaker)
- The Frequency counter is a metal "BOX" about 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches by 0.5 inches thick. It is right
behind the green and white 40 channel rotary switch. This box must be moved out of the way by unscrewing the
one Phillips screw on the left side of the chassis. There is no need to disconnect any of the wire plugs.
- Plug the loose eight wire plug into its socket.
- On the rear right corner of the channel selector curcuit board there is a small loop of wire. Cut this wire
short enough so that it can not "RE-CONNECT" to itself or short out to anything else. DO NOT UNSOLDER THIS WIRE because it is very close to some small surface mount parts. Heating this
wire could easily unsolder one of these small parts.
- Comming from the socket there is a yellow wire that has been cut in half. It must be re-connected. Be sure
to tape this connection or put some heat shrink tubing on it so it can not short to anything.
- Comming from the socket there is a gray wire that has been cut in half. It too must be re-connected. Be
sure to tape this connection or put some heat shrink tubing on it so it can not short to anything.
- Modification complete.
- Put the Frequency Counter box back in place, and then re-install the bottom cover.
- There is one interesting QUIRK that this radio has. The numeral ZERO is always on when you are on channels
1 through 9. Therefore the channels display 01, 02 ,03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, and 09.